How to write a professional resignation email

Congratulations! You’ve just landed your dream job with that marketing start-up. You can’t wait to explore new things, meet new people, and continue your journey of professional growth. However, starting a new position inevitably comes with leaving your current one – and that means writing a proper letter of resignation.
By Denise Christine Köhn
Blurred image of man at desk with laptop computer and smartphone
A well-structured resignation email is one sure way of leaving your current position on a positive note

Why should I write a resignation letter?

A proper letter of resignation will help you leave your current position in a positive and professional way. It’s not only considered a common courtesy, but it also provides written proof of your formal resignation as well as all other relevant information. A carefully crafted email regarding your resignation will set the tone for a smooth transition phase and ensure maintaining a positive relationship with your current employer.

When should I write my resignation letter?

While the most common practice is to give two weeks’ notice, you should always make sure to check your contract for individual agreements. Before sending your official two-weeks’ notice letter, it is highly recommended to talk to your direct line manager so they don’t learn about you leaving via email or even hear about it through the grapevine. If you work remotely or can’t arrange for a personal meeting, you can schedule a video call.

Can I send my resignation letter by email?

Absolutely! If you stick to a few basic rules, a well-designed email makes for a perfectly acceptable resignation letter. To begin with, you should make sure to use a trustworthy email address. You can use your work email account or write from a personal account with an appropriate alias and domain name, such as your first and last name. Did you know you can create several email aliases within your existing mail.com account? Check out our blog post on how to choose a unique email address.

Do I need to offer a reason for my resignation?

To put it short and sweet: No! You can just write a simple resignation email; you don’t have to elaborate on your motivation to leave the company. If you feel comfortable giving a reason, be sure to keep it short and focus on the new opportunity rather than your potential dissatisfaction with the current position.

What should I include in my resignation email?

Let’s now take a look at how to structure your letter of resignation email:

  1. Pick a clear and concise subject line: Start out your resignation letter email with a meaningful subject line to summarize all relevant information. This will help the recipients understand the matter at a quick glance, and they can decide if they need to open your email straight away or if it can wait until their meeting is over. A good example for a resignation letter email subject line might be John Doe: Resignation from my position as Software Engineer. In our blog post on how to write effective email subject lines, you can find more tips and inspiration.
  2. Choose a professional greeting: Regardless of your personal relationship to your boss and HR contacts, a formal letter of resignation should always begin with a professional greeting, such as "Dear Ms. Smith" or "Dear Jenna Smith".
  3. State the purpose of your email: This is the most important part of your email, and it should contain all relevant information regarding your resignation. Especially your HR contacts might not be familiar with your exact position at your company, so make sure to indicate the position you’re resigning from and when your employment will end. A concise but effective sentence might be "This is to inform you of my resignation as an assistant professor as of October 31, 2024."
  4. Express your appreciation: Even though you might be leaving your job because you’re not happy, you should always express your gratitude for the opportunity given at your current position. Try to focus on the things you learned in your current job, the supervisors and colleagues who supported you, or the projects that are a valuable addition to your CV.
  5. Offer help with the transition phase: Offering help with a transition plan shows that you care about your current position and your colleagues. Make sure that your supervisor knows you’re willing to document all of your valuable knowledge or help with getting a new colleague on board. Just think of what you would have liked to know when you first started your position and make it a little bit easier for the ones following in your footsteps.
  6. Provide your contact information: Depending on the timeline, your company may need to get in touch with you after you have left your position. Make sure to provide all relevant contact details, such as your phone number, an appropriate personal address, and maybe your social media links to remain in touch in the future.
  7. Proofread your email: Like any other official letter, your email of resignation should be free of errors. Double-check it before sending or ask a friend to help you proofread it if you’re uncertain. Did you know you can also use our built-in spell-checker to draft a flawless email? Check out our helpful explainers on how to compose an email with mail.com!
Last but not least, here are two resignation email examples to help you pen that perfect letter. mail.com wishes you the best of luck!

Resignation email samples

Formal resignation email template

From: nancy.miller@email.com
To: tim_will@mail.com
Subject:  Notice of resignation

Dear Mr. Williams,

This is to inform you of my resignation from my position as Online Marketing Manager. My last day of employment will be November 30, 2024.

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to work in this position for the past four years and the support I have received throughout my career. Our latest projects were a fantastic learning opportunity, and I truly appreciate the trust you have put in me as the project lead.
I’ll be preparing and handoff document with the current status of all open projects and an overview of the next steps.

If you ever need to contact me, you can reach me at (555) 555 1234 or nancy.miller@email.com.

I wish you all the best and I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Nancy Miller

Resignation mail to manager template

From: stjohnson@usa.com
To: ricarda.jones@mail.com
Subject:  Steve Johnson: Resignation as of 30/11/2024

Dear Ricarda Jones,

I hope this email finds you well!

I’m writing to officially let you know that I will be resigning from my position as Junior Sales Assistant as of November 30, 2024. I have decided to leave my current position for a fantastic opportunity in a new leadership role.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for the past three years during which I have always felt supported and appreciated. I thoroughly enjoyed working with a team of committed and passionate salespeople. I have learned so much from all of you, and it is thanks to you that I now feel truly prepared for the next big step in my professional growth.

I have prepared a detailed documentation of my current tasks and a written guideline to facilitate the onboarding process for any new colleague. Please know that I’m always here to help during the transition phase to provide for a smooth handover.

I’d love to stay in touch in the future, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you at stjohnson@usa.com or (555) 555 1234.

Warm regards,
Steve Johnson

We hope our job resignation templates and pointers help you make a smooth transition to your next professional challenge! We look forward to your feedback below.

And if you still don't have a mail.com account, you can create your free email address here.

Images: 1&1/Shutterstock

2 people found this article helpful.

Related articles

Professional email sign-offs: Best closing lines

Write a welcome aboard email for a new employee: Templates & tips

How to write professional email invitations – with examples